Last week, Carson was sick. She started on Monday evening, early Tuesday morning throwing up. She did that until about noon. She was then lethargic and listless for the next three days. She laid in bed or on the couch the entire time. She kept telling me that her head hurt and would point to the front of her forehead between her eyes. She wouldn't walk and she said the light hurt her eyes. Just to stand up took great effort and she held her head to one side. After she was finished throwing up, she wanted only to drink milk, no eating for my girl.
As I was trying to figure out what was going on, because I was pretty sure that she didn't have the flu, I realized that this had happened two other times since the first of April. She was having the same illness every 4 -5 weeks. I was able to get her into our pediatrician on Wednesday. I thought that she might have vertigo or a migraine headache - I even wondered if it might be a sinus infection but she didn't have any drainage (as far as I knew). Although Dr. Soler also thought it might be a migraine headache, she decided that Carson should have an MRI the next day. She would have to be sedated because she had to lie perfectly still for the procedure. This was to make sure there wasn't anything else going on.
We arrived at the hospital early on Thursday morning. They put this numbing cream on Carson's hands so that they could put an IV in one of her hands. The team who worked with Carson were amazing. They did a wonderful job. She cried when they inserted the IV in her hand. I thought she did amazingly well - I held her while they poked her and she didn't even tense up - she let me hold her the whole time.
While the sedation medicine was beginning to work it's magic, I carried Carson down to the room and the nurses took her in. I waited in the waiting area for almost an hour and then she was done. Bryan was meeting me at the hospital with Cameron and Morgan and somehow passed by the waiting room and was already in the room waiting with Carson. She came out of the sedation well, and we were able to go.
We heard from the doctor the next day that there were no abnormalities or tumors (whew!) and that she had a sinus infection. She has been on an antibiotic for the past five days and will go on it again after a little break.
We were so relieved that there were no problems. The doctor still thinks that she is getting migraine headaches so we will have to deal with that, but thank heavens that is all it is.
I was a little surprised that a small child could even have a migraine headache. I have a friend at work whose daughter was diagnosed with migraines at the age of three. Another friend from church has a nephew who has CVS - Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome which is similarly related. So we will talk to our doctor again about this information and hopefully get a handle on this.
I am so greatful that everything went well. Carson is such a big girl these days and such an important member of our family. We sure love her.
That poor little girl! I am glad every thing turned out fine, but migranes are not fun to deal with. I have never heard of children having them, what a horrible thing for her to go through.
ReplyDeleteI amso glad it worked out so well. Carson is an amazing little thing to have been so brave!
ReplyDeleteI few years ago we went through a series of medical test with Jordie. She had some crazy symtoms that made us fear cancer for our little girl. After much needle poking, crying from fear, x-rays, ect. We found that she had a terrible UTI. I never imagined a Kindergartener getting a UTI! Through this experience we have learned that Jordie MUST drink a lot of water throughout her day. We also learned how unreplacible our sweet daughter is. I am grateful that you are past the poking and tests. I am also super grateful Carson is on the mend! Hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds scary for everyone. Sorry you had to go through that. Keep us posted on any more news. We'll keep her in our prayers.
ReplyDelete